One hundred years ago – 13 June, 1914
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of this time in 1914, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
COMPULSORY TRAINING FOR GIRLS – Should Australian girls be brought under some system of compulsory training to fit them to share in the defence of the country in time of war? This is the query raised by the editor of “Everylady’s Journal for June, and answered by a number of leading citizens. The views of these notable people make very interesting and instructive reading. Summed up, the general opinion seems to be that while it is altogether inadvisable to give girls any form of military training, it would be a first class thing for the girls of Australia if a course in domestic science were made compulsory. 13/6/1914
BERGALIA’S BIG DAY, OPENING OF NEW CHEESE FACTORY – Bergalia had a gala day on Wednesday, the occasion being the opening of the new cheese factory. The weather was perfect, and before 10 a.m. residents of all the immediate localities could be seen wending their way to the scene of festivities, every mode of conveyance being brought into requisition, and before 11.30 the largest number of persons we have ever seen at this progressive little suburb had assembled to witness the initial public ceremony at the Bergalia Union Cheese Cooperative Factory.
Mr. J.E. Hawdon occupied the chair, and after a suitable address called upon the manager, Mr. C.A. Hutchings, who read a financial statement. Mrs. Denham, wife of Mr. Denham, of Denham Bros., Commission Agents, Sussex Street, Sydney, in a neat little speech, formally declared the building open. Messrs. Denham, D. Hutchison (Manager, Bodalla Estate), R.B. Heffernan (Managing Director, Moruya Cheese Factory), Meaker (Manager A.B.C. Factory, Central Tilba) and J. Anderson (Manager Corunna Cheese Factory), also spoke in terms befitting the occasion.
A sumptuous luncheon provided by the wives and sisters of the shareholders, was then partaken of, after which a programme of sports was carried out. The directorate should be highly commended for their indomitable courage in launching out on such extensive lines by the erection of a so substantial and up-to-date factory as the one under notice undoubtedly is. The contractor, Mr. C. Stewart, is entitled to very great praise for his excellent and faithful workmanship in the construction of the building. The structure, which is comprised of granite with plastered walls and cement floors, is 80 ft. by 25ft. The cheese room inside measurement is 40ft x 22ft 4in., with walls 16 inches in thickness and 12ft. from floor to ceiling. The platform is 20ft. x 10ft., with an extended roof of 10ft. The making-up room is 36ft. x 22ft. 4in. The officials who carried out the programme of sports are as follows: – Judges, Messrs. John Greig and “Joe” Berriman; starter, F. Hutchings; master of the track, Mr. James Greig; treasurer, E. Hay; secretary, A.J. Berriman. Messrs. E. and F. Nunan and Duross also gave valuable assistance… 13/6/1914
PENSIONS – Mr. Austin Chapman in the House of Representatives: – “In view of the approaching double dissolution, will the Treasurer give the House an early opportunity to deal with the Pensions Bill, and also give effect to my proposal to increase the old-age and invalid pension from 10s to 12/6s a week?” Sir John Forrest: “When the Government is dealing with the financial proposals for the coming year, this and other matters will have due consideration.” 13/6/1914
SILAGE – The State Premier has been in communication with the Minister for Agriculture respecting a proposal to erect silos for farmers in dairying districts, under an arrangement by which repayments will be made on an easy instalment plan. The system has been successfully adopted in Victoria… 13/6/1914
Sixteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1913 are available ($5 ea) from the society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Pioneer Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (mdhs.org.au).