Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 3 June 1916, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
MORUYA PARK – The Secretary has called a meeting of the Park Trustees to be held in their rooms, Commercial Hotel, on Tuesday next at 7.30p.m. for the transaction of important business.
SHOULDER ARMS – Pte Noble, at present in the Bathurst Camp, being about to sail for the front, his father, the much respected Mr. Noble, a shareholder in the Cadgee Grass Tree gold mine, passed through Moruya from Nerrigundah, to Sydney on Thursday, to say good bye to his brave boy.
TENNIS MATCH – A team of Tilba tennis players will play Moruya tomorrow (Saturday), on the local court, play to commence at 11 a.m. sharp. The following players will represent Moruya: – Gentlemen, Messrs. Shepherd, Kable, Simpson and Carter. Ladies, Misses N. Simpson, M. Emmott, E. Elliott and Mrs. Kable.
MINING – Two of the three Messrs. Motbey Bros, holding interests in the Grass Tree Gold Mine, near Cadgee, having sold out, Mr. Noble and the remaining Motby Bros. have taken two fresh partners into the Company, with whom they hope to carry out some important new development work. This mine has given its shareholders many payable returns, and let us hope that many more are to follow.
LOG TIMBER – Mr. Alf Crapp went out to Bodalla on Wednesday and inspected the forests of fine spotted gum timber which extend east of the estate. Mr. Crapp has fairly well exhausted the good timber contiguous to Moruya shipping port, and notwithstanding the fact that he is still hauling logs of first class quality, he finds that the profit has considerably diminished through the distance travelled and the time occupied. We have not heard whether our “boss log merchant” has made final arrangements with the manager, Mr. Hutchison, to draw from these forests, but hope he has as it will place him on a good wicket provided he can get a convenient shipping port.
– That Mr. H. J. Thomson visited the site of the late Buckenbowra fire a few days ago with a view of purchasing the machinery salvaged, but was unable to negotiate.
-That Mrs. John Flood is one of the most liberal donors of her worldly possessions in this district, both to her church and every worthy charitable object.
– That Miss. Dwyer, of the R.C. Presbytery, states that during her 40 years intimate connections with church bazaars she has never known gifts to be so liberally donated as they are to the R.C. bazaar to be held in October next; and
– That Mrs. George Constable has expressed herself in a similar way.
– That Mr. Martin, of Keating’s Hotel had the fingers of both hands painfully burnt whilst removing carbide from the generator some days ago.
LIBERAL TILBA – A very representative meeting was held at Central Tilba on Saturday night, to raise funds towards £1,000 for Anzac Day. The hall was crowded. Mr. S. W. Bate occupied the chair, and there were also on the platform, Captain Millard, M.P., Cr. T. Kennelly, J. P. O’Reilly and V. Henry. It was the best meeting in the history of the district, the response being spontaneous and liberal; the sum of £214 was collected in the room and another £100 is in sight. Some of the amounts were : S. W. Bate £20, H. J. Bate £10, John Bate, Capt. Millard, W. Flower each £6 6s, J. McFaul, T. Flower, J. McMillan, J. Keir, S. Starkey, J. T. Fookes, R. Reid, £5 5s each; Mrs. S. H. Bates £4 4s.
NERRIGUNDAH – (From our Correspondent)
– Mr. Cummins, School teacher of Nerrigundah, and his wife, who have been here for the past 14 years, left by private motor car on 31st ult., en route to Bibbenluke, to whence he has been transferred.
– Mr. Ginns, School Teacher of Bermagui South, is Mr. Cummins’ successor here.
– Mr. Holzhauser had the misfortune to lose a most valuable horse a few days ago through falling down an abandoned shaft.
– Nerringundah at the present time looks a picture, everything so green.
– Prospectors are still finding a little gold, in hopes of striking a good show shortly.
Seventeen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1915 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).