A Happy and Prosperous New Year To All – News from the Moruya Examiner 100 years ago
Featured image: Former Eurobodalla Shire Chambers, Campbell Street, Moruya
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 4 January 1919, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
MODERN TIMES – The past ten years or so have revolutionised living for the dairymen, those who are able to avail themselves of modern conveniences. A dairy farmer from Eurobodalla drove his own car to Cobargo on Xmas day to feast with relatives. In the afternoon he set out for home, his programmes being to reach home in time to milk 40 cows, set the milking machine going, and thus have carried on his dairying without interruption except a little pleasure. The travelling was in the region of 70 miles between milkings, a feat which would have made Dad of the original industry stare. “Chronicle.”
STATISTICS – Mr. C. T. Howard, the local registrar, kindly supplies us with the following statistics for the quarter ending 31st December 1918: Marriages – 4; births – males 15, females 9, total 24; deaths – males 7, females 3, total 10.
PONY RACES – Mr. J. Hansen, Hon. Secretary, notifies in this issue that the local Pony Club will hold a race meeting on 5th Feb. next, the day after the Race Club’s Annuals.
SHIRE COUNCIL – We are pleased to notice that the Shire Council soon set to work and repaired the culvert near Mr. P. Donnelly’s residence, and to which we drew attention in our last issue.
WEDDING – Holy Trinity Church, Tilba Tilba, was the scene of a very pretty little “Anzac” wedding on 18th instant, the contracting parties being Miss E. Russell, daughter of the late Chas. Russell, of Central Tilba, and Mr. Stanley Riordan, of Sydney, a returned Anzac. The bride wore a becoming dress of white crepe-de-chine, relived with a touch of silver trimming, also the customary wreath of orange blossoms and veil, and carried a bouquet of white heath and bouvardia, with white tulle streamers. The bridesmaid’s dress was of white organdie over pale pink, and she carried a bouquet of pink sweet peas and asparagus fern. Both bouquets were presented by Mrs. John Bate, of Tilba Tilba, who also decorated the Church most artistically. Mr. E. Russell, brother of the bride, gave her away, and Mr. R. Hapgood acted as best man. After the ceremony the wedding party adjourned to the residence of Mr. G. Hapgood, where refreshments were served, after which Mr. and Mrs. Riordan left for Sydney by car.
PERSONAL AND OTHERWISE –
-The British peace delegates will go to Paris on January 9.
-Mr. W. Boot, of the “Bega Budget,” and his son Ted spent a few days last weekend with Miss Boot of Yarragee.
-Mrs. D. J. Tarlinton, of Cobargo, is ill, and her condition is causing her relatives much anxiety.
-Local disciples of Isaac Walton report a bad time amongst the finny tribe during the holidays.
-Pte. Godfred Hanscom, who had reached Sierra Leone when the troopship he was on was recalled, arrived in Moruya last week.
-The marriage of Miss M. Lavis, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Lavis, of Bateman’s Bay, and Mr. Nes. Christenson, will take place early next week.
-The bans of marriage between Miss Ruth Staunton and Mr. “Dick” Sebbens were announced in the Sacred Heart Church on Sunday last for the first time.
-Where were the police on New Year’s Eve when two of our town hoodlums bespatted all the doors and windows in our main street with whitewash.
-Messrs. J. C. and Wm. Motbey crushed 3½ tons of stone from their claim at Mt. Utopia (one of the original claims of the old field of some years ago) at their battery. The yield was 10 ounces.
-Mrs. Baron Jones, who owns the commodious Gundary residence recently occupied by Nurse Heffernan, is on a visit here from Queensland and is staying at “Vivian” Cottage, Campbell Street.
Twenty 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1918 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).
The Moruya Museum houses a collection of furniture, books, artefacts and memorabilia that is intended to show visitors something of the lives of the ordinary people of this community from the middle of the nineteenth century. Most items on display were donated by local families.
To explore the museum’s online collection click HERE.
Click to read a copy of the current museum brochure.