Featured image: A pipe from our collection – currently in the parlour of the museum.
Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of 29 May 1920, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society
THE ANTI TOBACCO CAMPAIGN. A TIMELY WARNING.
Prohibitionists often deny that there is any intention of teetotal extremists to attack the tobacco habit. Those who like their pipe, cigar, or cigarette may look out for the suppression of this universal solace once fanaticism has crushed out the liquor trade. In a report published in the American papers of March 29th the Association opposed to National Prohibition sounds this warning:-
“The Anti-tobacco campaign of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union aided and abetted by the Anti Saloon League, is being watched very narrowly by the friends of constitutional liberty, and they are amazed that the friends of tobacco seem to regard the crusade of this organisation with complacence and placidity, which is exactly the same attitude the liquor interests took twenty-five, fifteen, ten and even five years ago”….
GOOD HAUL.– Mr. W. Witheridge brought in 50 baskets of whiting from the Tuross Lakes to the Refrigerating Works on Wednesday. Some money in that catch at 30/- a basket.
GRAND BALL.– Everything augures well for a big night at Bateman’s Bay on Friday next, 4th June, when the grand ball in aid of the Race Club will be held. The energetic secretary, Mr. A. E. Ryan, is working with a will to make the function THE ball of the season.
The monthly meeting of the Moruya Cottage Hospital committee was held in the Shire Hall on the 20th inst. The chair in the absence of the President, Mr. T. Flood, was taken by Mr. E.J. Egan, Vice President; also present were Messrs. W. Jermyn, C. Carter, C. Johnson and R. J. Anderson. Minutes of last meeting were read and confirmed.
CORRESPONDENCE: From secretary of Office of Director-General of Public Health, asking if this institution requires any special apparatus for instruments for the treatment of venereal diseases, and if so to forward list. Decided to forward letter on to the medical officer for report.
– From secretary of Moruya Tennis Club enclosing donation of £1 1s to the funds of the institution. Acknowledged with best thanks.
– From Under-secretary, Office of Minister of Public Health—Circular 2362 re keeping a uniform system of accounts for Hospitals. Acknowledged.
– To Miss R. Coppin, accepting her application for domestic services at the Hospital.
REPORTS: The financial report showed a credit balance in current account.
– Schedule of accounts presented for payment amounted to £19 4s 3d.
MATRON’S REPORT: Patients remaining in Hospital on 15th April, 1; admitted since last report, 5; total treated since last report, 6; discharged since last report, 2; remaining in Hospital on 19th May, 4.
Fees received by Matron, £2 7s 6d.
Donations in kind received: – Mrs. W. Stephens vegetables and fruit; Mrs .L Hawdon eggs; Mrs. J. Louttit vegetables and fruit; Mrs .H. Wilson poultry; Mrs. L. Walker sugar; Mr. J. Millikin vegetables, eggs and fruit; Mrs. Veitch eggs, scones and sugar; Mr. A. Sebbens fish, fruit, poultry and sugar; Mr. R. J. Anderson eggs and mutton; Mrs. E. Hawdon fruit and flowers; Mrs. J. Duncan poultry and eggs; Mrs. G. Mercer fruit, butter and jam; Mrs. R. J. Anderson poultry and eggs; Mrs. A. M. Wilson jelly and vegetables; Mrs. S. Nelson eggs; Mrs. P. Mylott poultry; Mrs .W. Windley eggs and fruit.
Nurse Locke took charge of fever case on 15th May.
House Committee reported work carried on satisfactorily. An additional nurse has been engaged to nurse a special case. The firewood blocks require splitting up, and recommended having same done. Agreed to.
NELLIGEN.- From our Correspondent
An unusually successful public meeting was held on Saturday last to select a suitable stone for our Soldiers’ Memorial. The choice of the meeting was for an imposing obelisk of Bowral Trochyte, surmounted by the figure of our Australian soldier in marble. The stone is to be about 14 feet high and is exactly similar to one lately unveiled by Major Cox for the Blacktown Shire….
Matters in connection with the burrawang industry have now reached a definite stage. A Company with plenty of money behind it, to be known as the “Austral Starch Co.,” has secured a site at the mouth of Currowan Creek for building a factory. An engineer and several workmen are now located at the site, I understand, and work is to proceed forthwith. The main products are to be starch and paper, but other by products will probably be dealt with also. The establishment of these works will undoubtedly be of great benefit to the town and district.
Twenty one 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1919 are available ($6 to $8ea) from the Museum. Back copies of local newspapers can be viewed on microfilm at the Society’s Family History Research Library (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya.The Moruya Museum houses a collection of furniture, books, artefacts and memorabilia that is intended to show visitors something of the lives of the ordinary people of this community from the middle of the nineteenth century. Most items on display were donated by local families.
To explore the museum’s online collection click HERE.
Click to read a copy of the current museum brochure.