And we thought our family trees are sometimes very complicated!
I am never going to complain again.

Chris has started the ball rolling here. Are there any other thoughts/ Time? Location? It would be great to get as much information as possible. Please add any thoughts/ inspirations into a comment so that we can add to our pool of knowledge

Trove Tuesday- Additions To Trove

In the latest issue of The Federation of Australian Historical Societies e-Bulletin (No. 112 – 25 June 2013) we have been notified of the latest additions to the Trove newspaper collection.
The National Library of Australia has announced that issues of the following digitised newspapers to Trove, and further issues will become available shortly.

The Cobargo Chronicle, P3
Friday, 24 March, 1899
Carcoar Chronicle , P2
Monday, 19 March, 1894

New South Wales:
Adelong and Tumut Express and Tumbarumba Post (NSW: 1900 – 1925)*
Arrow (Sydney, NSW: 1916 – 1933)*
The Bega Budget (NSW: 1905 – 1921)*
The Bega Gazette and County of Auckland Advertiser (NSW: 1865) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.
The Bega Gazette and Eden District or Southern Coast Advertiser (NSW: 1865 – 1899) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
The Burrowa News (NSW: 1874 – 1951)*
The Campbelltown Herald (NSW: 1880 – 1919)*
The Carcoar Chronicle (NSW: 1863 – 1943)*
The Catholic Press (NSW: 1895 – 1942)*
The Cobar Herald (NSW : 1899 – 1914)*
The Cobargo Chronicle (NSW: 1898 – 1944) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
The Corowa Chronicle (NSW: 1905 – 1928)*
Daily Observer (Tamworth, NSW: 1917 – 1920)*
Democrat (Lithgow, NSW: 1915 – 1916)*
Eden Free Press and Eden District Advertiser (NSW: 1899) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Examiner (Kiama, NSW: 1859 – 1862) (Digitisation was supported by Kiama Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Freeman’s Journal (Sydney, NSW: 1850 – 1932)*
Gilgandra Weekly (NSW: 1915 – 1929) (Digitisation was supported by Gilgandra Shire Council, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Globe (Sydney, NSW : 1885 – 1887)
Goulburn Herald (NSW : 1860 – 1864)
The Goulburn Herald and County of Argyle Advertiser (NSW: 1848 – 1859)
The Independent (Deniliquin, NSW: 1901 – 1946) *
Kiama Examiner (NSW: 1858 – 1859) (Digitisation was supported by Kiama Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Kiama Reporter (NSW: 1886 – 1887)
Labor News (Sydney, NSW: 1918 – 1924)*
The Land (Sydney, NSW: 1911 – 1954)*
Leader (Orange, NSW: 1912 – 1922) (Digitisation was supported by Central West Libraries, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government Country Libraries fund and the State Library of NSW.)
The Mirror of Australia (Sydney, NSW: 1915 – 1917)*
Molong Argus (NSW : 1909 – 1921) (Digitisation was supported by Central West Libraries, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government Country Libraries fund and the State Library of NSW.)
Molong Express and Western District Advertiser (NSW: 1912 – 1922) (Digitisation was supported by Central West Libraries, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government Country Libraries fund and the State Library of NSW.)
The Newcastle Argus and District Advertiser (NSW: 1916)*
The Newsletter: an Australian Paper for Australian People (Sydney, NSW: 1900 -1918)*
The Northern Daily Leader (Tamworth, NSW: 1921)*
The Peak Hill Express (NSW: 1902 – 1952)*
The Port Macquarie News and Hastings River Advocate (NSW: 1882 – 1950)*
The Queanbeyan Leader (NSW: 1905 – 1916)*
Reporter and Illawarra Journal (Kiama, NSW: 1887 – 1894)
The Shoalhaven News, Nowra (NSW: 1937)*
Southern Argus (Goulburn, NSW: 1881 – 1885) (Digitisation supported by Goulburn Mulwaree Council, Upper Lachlan Shire Council, Yass Valley Council, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Southern Morning Herald (NSW: 1920 -1923) (Digitisation supported by Goulburn Mulwaree Council, Upper Lachlan Shire Council, Yass Valley Council, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Twofold Bay and Maneroo Observer (NSW: 1860 – 1899) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Twofold Bay Telegraph (NSW: 1860) (Digitisation was supported by Bega Valley Shire Library, Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Wagga Wagga Advertiser (NSW: 1874 – 1905) (Digitisation was supported by Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga City Council, The Daily Advertiser and the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society.)
Wagga Wagga Advertiser and Riverine Reporter (NSW: 1868 – 1874) (Digitisation supported by Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga City Council, The Daily Advertiser and the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society.)
Wagga Wagga Express and Murrumbidgee District Advertiser (NSW: 1858 – 1875) (Digitisation was supported by the Wagga Wagga & District Family History Society.)
Werriwa Times and Goulburn District News (NSW: 1901) (Digitisation was supported by Goulburn Mulwaree Council, Upper Lachlan Shire Council, Yass Valley Council, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
Western Herald (NSW: 1896 – 1970) (Digitisation was supported by Bourke Shire Council, the Library Council of NSW, the NSW Government and the State Library of NSW.)
* Digitisation of these titles has been supported by the State Library of NSW as part of the Digital Excellence Program, funded by the NSW Government.
Victoria:
Gippsland Guardian (Vic: 1855 – 1868) (Digitisation was supported by Wellington Shire Council, Wellington Shire Heritage Network and Gippsland Prospectors and Miners.)
North Melbourne Courier and West Melbourne Advertiser (Vic: 1895 – 1913) Digitisation supported by Melbourne Library Service.
North Melbourne Gazette (Vic: 1894 – 1901) (Digitisation was supported by Melbourne Library Service.)
The Record and Emerald Hill and Sandridge Advertiser (Vic: 1872 – 1881) (Digitisation was supported by the City of Port Phillip.)
The Telegraph, St Kilda, Prahran and South Yarra Guardian (Vic : 1866 – 1888) (Digitisation supported by the Malvern Historical Society, Prahran Historical & Arts Society, St Kilda Historical Society and Stonnington History Centre.)
The Yarragon, Trafalgar & Moe Settlement News (Vic: 1902 – 1922) (Digitisation supported by the Trafalgar & District Historical Society, the Victorian Government and Public Record Office Victoria.)
Western Australia:
The Herald (Fremantle, WA: 1867 – 1886) Digitisation was supported by Fremantle City Library.

We all know that the Tuross area is one of the jewels of the Eurobodalla Shire.
Here is a glimpse of Tuross as it was in 1927. It presents a wonderful glimpse into the area at the time, the people, the clothing, the sports and the natural attractions of the area.
This original 16mm film was shot around Tuross and a clip is currently on YouTube. It was made to help developer Hector McWilliam market his 1926 Tuross subdivision in Sydney and Canberra.

A poster and brochures from the time, held by the society, show Mr McWilliam wanted his money a little more quickly than today’s working-life mortgages allow.

“Terms 20 per cent deposit, balance in 10, half-yearly installments, with interest at five per cent,” the brochures said.”

But little has changed since 1927 in real estate hype.

Mr McWilliam described Tuross’s “reputation among Motorists (who deserved a capital letter) as the most entrancing spot on the Australian Coastline (which also deserved a capital).

“Tuross is being placed on the market for the first time,” he said.

“The early completion of Canberra and the establishment of the Federal Parliament there make the possibilities of Tuross apparent at a glance. Tuross is the nearest first-class tourist resort to Canberra, about five hours’ easy run by motor. Tuross has not been spoilt by the establishment of any industries or Sawmills such as disfigure some of our noted resorts. It will undoubtedly be the greatest tourist resort in New South Wales.”

The film you will see here is an edited 10 minute version made suitable for YouTube – apologies for the compression quality).

Please contact the Moruya and District Historical Society if you would like to view the longer (and clearer) version.

Copies of the DVD can be purchased from the Society.

The film was shown along side the famous film For The Term Of His Natural Life at Batemans Bay earlier this year.

Do you know any of the people ‘starring’ in this film – particularly the happy golfer from Moruya?
If you do please add any information that you have about the film to the comments section below.

Hidden in plain sight: revealing the Sirius anchor

This post is from the Australian Maritime Museum in Sydney and is a fascinating account of the restoration work being carried out on the anchor of the Sirius, on of the ships of the First Fleet.

This anchor is one of the real treasures of Australian history.

A moment in history – can you date this photograph?

Can anyone help us determine what is happening in this photo? Please add your comments about this image in the comments section of the post (below).

We have many undated photographs at our museum. They will be increasingly featured in posts on this blog called Captured Moments on this blog and on our Flickr account.

If you know the dates, the people in the featured photographs or any other interesting facts about the images please comment.

By using our collective wisdom the featured photograph will become a real part of history, possibly with a fascinating backstory.

Sydney Moderns: Art For A New World

image
Grace Cossington Smith Bridge in-curve 1930

image

You’re probably wondering why the the local historical society’s blog has a post featuring an exhibition taking place at the Art Gallery of NSW. A good question with an easy answer.

The artistic and cultural movements resulting from the machine age – the Art Deco and Art Moderne movements – that heavily influenced the featured artists also had a significant Australia-wide impact. It was Art Deco’s optimistic declaration of progress and modernity that cemented its popularity as Australia rebounded from the Great Depression. It was expressed through all types of buildings, commercial, residential and monumental, ushering in a moment of consistency and accessibility to Australia’s built environment.

Art Deco worked on human, street scale and provided definition to our skylines. The embellishments and architectural detail of Art Deco created theatrical incidents which enlivened the conservative atmosphere of the streets. Its hallmarks: the distinctive stepped summit, ornamental detail including popular motifs such as the rising sun, lightning zig zags and bold geometric patterns with the use of rich and colourful materials still assert their presence on the streetscapes of Australia today.

The street scape of Vulcan Street has at least two fine examples of this – the Monarch Hotel (built 1930’s) and the wonderful windows of the Commonwealth Bank (formerly Mylott’s Bakery built 1930). The influence of Art Deco and Art Moderne is also seen in residential architecture and design in the local area.

One of the Art Deco windows at Moruya's CBA
One of the Art Deco windows at Moruya’s CBA
image
Art Deco detailing on the Monarch Hotel, Moruya

The exhibition, Sydney moderns: art for a new world, showcases more than 180 early modern works by Australia’s most celebrated and respected artists. Spanning the years between 1915 and the early 1940s, the exhibition presents the diverse and versatile forms of Sydney modernism and considers their relationship to modern Australian life, to nationalism and internationalism, and to Australia’s dominant artistic genre, landscape painting.

This landmark exhibition presents one of the liveliest and most distinctive periods in the history of Australian art,’ said Daniel Thomas AM, art historian.

In the years between the two world wars, Sydney was a thriving modern metropolis. By the 1920s its population had grown to one million and its urban environment was being transformed by exciting new structures, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, modern transport and David Jones’ new flagship store on Elizabeth Street. The Home magazine, launched in Sydney in 1920, became the source for all things stylishly modern, promoting the latest ideas in design, furniture, fashion and art.

The exhibition includes the artists Margaret Preston, Roy de Maistre, Roland Wakelin, Grace Cossington Smith, Thea Proctor, Grace Crowley, Ralph Balson, Rah Fizelle, Frank and Margel Hinder, Margo and Gerald Lewers, Dorrit Black, Olive Cotton, Max Dupain and Harold Cazneaux, along with important works by Sydney’s lesser known ‘lost moderns’, such as Tempe Manning, Niel A Gren, Frank Weitzel and Fred Coventry.

These progressive artists in Sydney responded to these new movements. They explored and promoted modernity, modernism and the international style moderne in their work through revolutions in colour and light, and through the developing forms of abstraction. Their diverse works present the dynamic patterns of life under light-filled skies or coloured interiors as new realms of visual experience.

The rich collection of modern Sydney art at the Art Gallery of NSW is augmented by works borrowed from Australia’s major public galleries and private collections. This exhibition will be on display from 6 Jul – 7 Oct 2013

image
Roy de Maistre
image
Herbert Badham – George Street, Sydney. 1934 (detail)

To find out more about this exhibition head to www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au

The Moruya and District Historical Museum is located at 85 Campbell Street Moruya in an 1875 heritage-listed terrace house built by Abraham Emmott, an early settler to the area.

Emmott, a migrant from Yorkshire, reached Moruya in 1859 and set up a general store on the verandah of his first home. From there he moved to his new Beehive Store in Vulcan Street, and the name of “Emmott’s” held good for over a century.

In 1875, Abraham built a pair of semi-detached houses, using a standard North of England design. The bricks were made locally and now show their age and the lack of firing in their making. As a concession to the Australian climate, good roofed verandahs were added to the English design.

Stepping out from his bedroom to the verandah, Abraham could see what was happening down the street at his Beehive Stores. Abraham’s house is now home to the Moruya Museum.

The other half of the pair was occupied by Abraham’s son, John, who achieved some renown from an incident that occurred when he was returning to Moruya from the Gulph diggings at Nerrigundah. He was bailed up by the notorious Clarke gang who shot him as he tried to escape, and, as he lay wounded, robbed him of the money and gold he was carrying.

The Moruya Museum houses a collection of furniture, books, artefacts and memorabilia that portrays to visitors something of the lives of the ordinary people of this community from the middle of the nineteenth century. Most items on display were donated by local families.The result is an eclectic mix of considerable charm and interest.

A new exhibit is the 1881 Abernethy Stonemason’s Lathe which was used for turning and polishing many of the Moruya  granite columns and pillars decorating Sydney buildings that were well known in Sydney from the second half of the nineteenth century.

The columns were used in the GPO building, the Queen Victoria Building, St Mary’s Cathedral, many monuments and, most famously, the pylons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The lathe was used to produce the beautifully turned and polished pillars used in several of the buildings.

The  Twin Bed Lathe was made in Aberdeen Scotland in 1881. It was last used at Loveridge and Hudson’s yard in Sydney in the 1960s and then donated to the Lachlan Vintage Village Heritage Theme park in the late 1970s. In 1987, it was bought by the NSW Heritage Council, who handed it over to Eurobodalla Shire in 2010. The Moruya Antique Tractor and Machine Association helped restore the lathe.

From the quarries of Moruya….
….to the major buildings of Sydney

Quick Facts:

Moruya Museum opening hours are 11am to 1pm Wednesday, Friday & Saturday and every day from 11am to 3pm during the summer school holidays. The Geneology Room is open on those same days from 10 am to 2pm. Full details are in the Contacts secion of this blog.

Entry fees are Adults $3, Pensioners $2 & children $1. As the older generations of pioneer settlers died, so too died a wealth of folk history. Local Historical Societies such as ours aim to stem the loss, not just by preserving the artefacts used by our grandparents, but also by researching and recording local history.

We have a number publications for sale on the history of the area and produce a quarterly journal.

The Museum also houses a large collection of photographs of the district and the pioneers who developed the area. Many are on display but many more are filed and indexed and stored in the Museum.

Group tours and school tours are most welcome. These tours are led by Museum Volunteers who have an intricate knowledge of the items in the collection. Attached to the Moruya Museum is our Genealogy Research Room. A wide-ranging collection of microfiche, microfilm, CDRoms and printed material are available for family history researchers. A charge of $10 is made for non-members to use the facilities.

Vulcan Street is Moruya’s ‘main street’ and is part of The Princes Highway, the coastal highway that links Sydney and Melbourne, and has had a vital role to play in the history of Moruya.

As pressure from new settlers grew on the colonial authorities to open up the land on the southern side of the Moruya River, the surveyor Parkinson was sent to lay out a new town. Following this, the town of Moruya was gazetted in 1851. It centred about the track opposite to where the road from Broulee terminated at the river bank, the two being linked by a punt.

As there already was a blacksmith on that track, it was named Vulcan Street. The other initial streets were Campbell, Queen and Church. Campbell Street owed its name to the squatter William Campbell, Queen Street to patriotism and Church Street to the Catholic Church’s presence there. Land sales commenced in 1852. Many of the blocks went to local settlers but Campbell cornered a large slice of the market.

Below is a series of photos of Vulcan Street through the decades.

1906
1911
1924
1930
2002

Vulcan Street is still a busy, commercial street with a real mix of architectural styles and function.

Do you have any information or anecdotes about Vulcan Street and its history. While the Society has good information about the street we are always looking for more.

If you can help us make the history of the street ‘live and breathe’ through anecdotes, could you do please include these in your comments (following this post).